WeWork Victoria, but subject to relevant Covid-related Government guidance and social distancing restrictions
Up to £32,000 DOE
Hours of work
Monday – Friday (35 hours p/w)
7 October 2021
Head of Marketing and Communications
About Media Trust
At Media Trust, we believe that it’s by giving everyone a voice that we’ll get to a more equal society. That’s why we’re proud to be working with hundreds of charities to strengthen their storytelling, advocacy and campaigning, press engagement and social media. We do this through media, communications and digital skills training delivered in partnership with our media and creative industry partners and by matching media industry volunteers with charities looking for comms support. At the same time, our youth programmes are giving thousands of young people the creative digital media skills, access and mentoring support to break into the media. In this way, we believe we are doing our bit contribute to Britain’s levelling up agenda while also helping the media sector to be more responsible, representative and connected.
Read our 2020 Impact Report to learn more about our work and our impact.
About the Role
This is an exciting and wide-ranging role for a creative communications professional, with extensive experience and skills in copy writing and copy editing. We are looking for someone who has creative flair and can manage integrated communications and campaigns that appeal to a diverse set of stakeholders. This role would suit someone with a good understanding and experience of the UK charity sector and a passion for equalities and inclusion. We are looking for a confident and energetic addition to our small but ambitious team, to help take Media Trust’s marketing and communications to the next level, engaging more charities, communities, young people and the media and creative industry with our work and impact.
The primary purpose of the role is to create and edit all written copy for Media Trust’s communications and external resources, including website copy, blogs, case studies and impact reports. The role will also pitch and secure media coverage that promotes the work of the charity and our position as a thought leader, with the support of the Head of Marketing and Communications.
- Lead on writing copy for Media Trust’s communications and external resources, including but not limited to website copy, blogs, and our impact reports
- Develop our case studies bank, conducting interviews with programme participants and turning these into media-ready stories
Copy editing and reviewing
- Manage the development of new written copy for Media Trust’s website and new/repurposed materials for our online resources hub for charities
- With the support of the Head of Marketing and Communications, review and update existing copy on our website and resources hub, ensuring it is fit-for-purpose and target audience, and uses accessible language
- For resources where other teams lead on production, e.g., application forms for Media Trust programmes or invitations to Media Trust event, assist where necessary with supporting copy reviewing and editing
- Work with the wider Marcomms team to develop an editorial calendar to plan key resources and pitches
- Support the CEO and senior leadership team, to continuously update, develop and where appropriate reframe our key messaging about what Media Trust does, the communities we support and the impact we’re having
Pitching for media
- Pitch stories to journalists on Media Trust, our work, our partners, and that meet our key objectives
- Develop Media Trust’s PR strategy including positioning Media Trust’s Chair, CEO and senior leadership team as key spokespersons on media and equalities issues and Media Trust’s programme managers as spokespeople on the thematic area of their respective programmes – including booking speaking slots and pitching blogs and opinion pieces
- Own, manage and regularly update our media contacts lists
- With the support of the Head of Marketing and Communications, coordinate interviews between journalists and Media Trust representatives, and create spokesperson and case study briefings
- Regularly horizon scan for media opportunities, including speaking events and podcasts, where we can place Media Trust staff as ‘expert voices’
What we are looking for in you
- Minimum of five years working professionally as a copy writer, journalist, or an equivalent role ideally within the charity sector
- Excellent copywriting and copy-editing skills
- Excellent knowledge of media and communications, and how these can be used to impact positive change
- Experience of writing for different audiences, while still retaining organisational tone of voice
- Ability to create angles and stories to pitch to relevant journalists and stakeholders
- Excellent relationship and stakeholder management, with experience of developing and sustaining relationships with media professionals e.g., journalists, agencies etc
- Ability to work cross-functionally, across teams and working groups
- An excellent verbal communicator
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple complex projects and meet deadlines
The above job description is a guide to the work you may be required to undertake but does not form part of your contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
How to apply
Email a covering letter (max 2 pages) to email@example.com describing how your skills and experience match our requirements, your CV and the completed Equal Opportunities form, with Communications Manager in the subject line.
At Media Trust, we are committed to representing the communities we support. We warmly encourage applications from people of colour, individuals who identify as LGBTQIA, working class, disabled and those living with mental health conditions. We are happy to make reasonable adjustments for disabled applicants at any stage of the recruitment process – please get in touch to discuss.
Closing date: Thursday 7 October 2021
Interview dates: Wednesday 13 October 2021
Please note, due to the high volume of applications we expect to receive, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Working at Media Trust
Media Trust is an ambitious charity, full of passionate people. We are a small and dynamic team that works collaboratively and supports each other in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for motivated, agile and value-driven people to join our team.
- We are based in WeWork Victoria, a vibrant co-working space with our own Media Trust office. There are regular activities and pop-ups throughout the week, ping pong tournaments and free barista coffee all day and prosecco/craft beer evenings
- Generous annual leave
- Flexible hours, to be agreed with line manager
- Part-time options considered for the right candidate
- Secure bike shed
- Pension contributions
- Volunteer days
Media Trust values and respects all differences in people (seen and unseen). One of the ways we do this is by actively encouraging staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available, such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility and equipment or other support you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.