WeWork Victoria / remote working
£26,000 o.n.o. depending on experience (pro-rata if part-time)
Hours of work
Monday – Friday (35 hours pw), or part-time (Monday – Thursday) negotiable
24 January 2022
12 months (with potential to extend)
Head of Marketing and Communications
About Media Trust
At Media Trust, we believe that it’s by giving everyone a voice that we’ll get to a more equal society. That’s why we’re proud to be working with hundreds of charities to strengthen their storytelling, advocacy and campaigning, press engagement and social media. We do this through media, communications and digital skills training delivered in partnership with our media and creative industry partners and by matching media industry volunteers with charities looking for comms support. At the same time, our youth programmes are giving thousands of young people the creative digital media skills, access and mentoring support to break into the media. In this way, we believe we are doing our bit contribute to Britain’s levelling up agenda while also helping the media sector to be more responsible, representative and connected.
Read our 2021 Impact Report to learn more about our work and our impact.
About the Role
This is an exciting and wide-ranging role for a confident and creative individual with strong copy writing skills and meticulous attention to detail, and a finger on the pulse of the news agenda and equality, inclusion and media representation.
We’re looking for someone with flair who, with support, can amplify Media Trust’s voice and programmes in local, national and sector media outlets, and craft stories for our website, blog and resources. This role would suit someone with a good understanding and experience of the UK charity sector and a passion for equalities and inclusion. We are looking for a hard-working and energetic addition to our small dynamic team, who will help take Media Trust’s marketing and communications to the next level, engaging more charities, communities, young people and the media and creative industry with our work and impact.
Your primary responsibility will be to secure coverage for Media Trust and our programmes, as well as to create copy for key external resources including blogs, case studies and impact reports.
- Pitch stories to journalists on Media Trust, our work and our partners
- Own, manage and regularly update our media contacts lists
- Develop our case studies bank, conducting interviews with programme participants and turning these into media-ready stories
- Provide copywriting support for external resources including web copy, blogs and impact reports
- Support the Head of Marketing and Communications with the review and updating of content and copy on the Media Trust website
- Support the Head of Marketing and Communications to develop and regularly update Media Trust’s position statements document
- Work with the wider Marcomms team to develop an editorial planning calendar
What we are looking for in you
- Three or more years professional experience, as a press officer, marketing professional or journalist, or an equivalent role ideally within the charity sector
- Ability to create angles and stories to pitch to relevant journalists and stakeholders
- Excellent copywriting and copy-editing skills
- Excellent knowledge of media and communications, and how these can be used to impact positive change
- Experience of writing for different audiences, while still retaining organisational tone of voice
- Excellent relationship and stakeholder management, with experience of developing and sustaining relationships with media professionals e.g., journalists, agencies etc
- Ability to work cross-functionally, across teams and working groups
- An excellent verbal communicator
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple complex projects and meet deadlines
The above job description is a guide to the work you may be required to undertake but does not form part of your contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
How to apply
Email a covering letter (max 2 pages) to [email protected] describing how your skills and experience match our requirements, your CV and the completed Equal Opportunities form, with Press Officer in the subject line.
At Media Trust, we are committed to representing the communities we support. We warmly encourage applications from people of colour, individuals who identify as LGBTQIA, working class, disabled and those living with mental health conditions. We are happy to make reasonable adjustments for disabled applicants at any stage of the recruitment process – please get in touch to discuss.
Closing date: 9am on Monday 24 January 2022
Please note, due to the high volume of applications we expect to receive, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Working at Media Trust
Media Trust is an ambitious charity, full of passionate people. We are a small and dynamic team that works collaboratively and supports each other in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for motivated, agile and value-driven people to join our team.
- Generous annual leave
- Flexible hours, to be agreed with line manager
- Part-time options considered for the right candidate
- Secure bike shed
- Pension contributions
- Volunteer days
Media Trust values and respects all differences in people (seen and unseen). One of the ways we do this is by actively encouraging staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available, such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility and equipment or other support you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.