Programme Manager – Community Voices
£32,000 - £36,000 doe
Hours of work
9.30am to 5.30pm, Monday – Friday
12 January 2020
Fixed term until December 2022
Director of Charity Services
16 Jan 2020
4 days part time and job share considered based on experience
Media Trust strives to bridge the gap between the media and creative industry and charities, under-represented communities and young people to give them a stronger voice. We do this by promoting skills-based volunteering, empowering young people from diverse backgrounds to work in the media and creative industry and facilitating capacity building and multi-stakeholder dialogue and collaboration.
We’re proud to be helping charities and under-represented communities to challenge entrenched negative stereotypes and fight for more authentic media representation, giving a stronger voice to people with lived experience. Media Trust is helping charities with their communications strategy, advocacy and campaigning, storytelling, content creation, press engagement, and digital and social media. From January to September 2019, Media Trust supported 2000+ charities and engaged 1300 industry volunteers through our programmes.
We have an extensive network of 30+ corporate partners including adamandeveDDB, BBC, BBH, Channel 4, Edelman, Facebook, Google, Guardian Media Group, ITV, Sky, Twitter and Weber Shandwick, to name but a few, who we work closely alongside to deliver our programmes.
We are looking for an experienced, creative and strategic individual, who is happy to hit the ground running and manage multiple programmes as part of our Charity Services team.
You will lead our media and campaigns capacity building programmes. These programmes provide specialist training and mentoring for charities and under-represented communities to raise their profile, pitch and secure media coverage, build relationships with journalists and develop compelling campaigns. The three key programmes you will be responsible for include:
Following an impactful two years of running the Stronger Voices programme, Media Trust has secured further funding from The City Bridge Trust for three more years to deliver this strategic communications training programme.
Over the course of three years, Stronger Voices will provide 45 London-based equality organisations with enhanced media, messaging and campaign skills and mentoring opportunities with which to raise their profile and give voice to people with first-hand experience of social injustice.
This will be the main programme you manage, with responsibility for recruiting, selecting and supporting a cohort of 15 equality organisations per year to participate in this 8-month programme.
Lead Media Trust’s flagship annual event celebrating International Women’s Day, bringing together 30 women and girls’ charities with 150 media and creative volunteers, who work in teams to develop strategic and compelling campaigns. You will lead the project team, focusing on the recruitment of 30 women’s and girls’ charities and 150 media and creative professionals who want to volunteer their communication skills to give women and girls charities a stronger voice.
In late 2019, Media Trust convened 18 disability charities, disabled people and 60 media and creative industry experts to review the current lack of representation and inclusion of disabled people in the media both off-screen and on-screen, and to work together to find solutions. This is an exciting new area of work we plan to grow in the next 18 months, setting up working groups of charities, disabled people along with media and creative professionals to work together and find solutions. You will lead the engagement of disability charities and disabled people in the advisory groups and support the development of programmes and fundraising to grow this area of work.
This post also holds responsibility for every level of logistics including liaising with over 300 charities and community projects per year, venue hire, catering, travel and liaison with all key stakeholders.
You will also be required to support the delivery of other grant programmes as and when required. Travel throughout the UK and overnight stays may also be required.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with broad and extensive experience of capacity building within the charity, community or media sectors, and the confidence and presence to work with community and industry leaders. This is a critical and fulfilling role which will give you broad exposure to charities, as well as the media and creative industry.
- Strategic development of the Community Voices programme, ensuring programmes are relevant, innovative and designed with and for charities and underrepresented communities
- Programme management of multiple complex projects ensuring high-quality, effective and efficient delivery of activity meeting KPI and budget requirements
- Manage programme budgets and financial reporting
- Logistical management for multiple programmes and events (venue booking, catering, travel etc).
- Design and deliver an annual strategic communications training and masterclass programme for equalities organisations
- Design and manage media training for charity employees and people experiencing social inequality first-hand, that builds their skills, confidence and ability to authentically tell their story via TV, radio and print while safeguarding their wellbeing
- Recruit, match and manage teams of volunteers from leading media and creative agencies to provide pro bono strategic communications advice and support to charities
- Work with internal teams and external monitoring and evaluation agencies to develop theory of change and reports that measure and share the impact of Media Trust’s Community Voices programmes.
- Liaising with 500+ charity partners a year, ensuring programme opportunities are accessible and taken up
- Work with Media Trust’s 33 media and creative industry partners to devise training and volunteering opportunities, connecting media and creative professionals who want to volunteer their skills with charities and communities in need of communications support
- Involve charities and communities in the development of Media Trust’s programmes and work including managing the Stronger Voices Advisory Group comprising highly regarded subject matter experts and community leaders
- Build and maintain relationships with partners to raise the profile of Media Trust programmes through steering groups, speaking at events, cross promotion and networking
Marketing and Communications
- Working with the Mar-Comm team, you will develop web, e-marketing and social copy to promote each programme
- Write programme reports, blogs, funding applications and presentations
- Work closely with the marketing team to agree the brief for launch to promote the programmes, agree the focus of the communications plans, prepare materials for case study development and help manage digital content
- A strong understanding of the charity and community sector and the opportunities and challenges they face in the 21st century to drive social change
- A minimum of three years’ experience managing capacity building programmes for charities and under-represented communities
- Demonstrable experience of managing multiple and complex programmes that achieve demonstrable impact, including financial management
- Good knowledge and understanding of training development and delivery, preferably with training facilitation experience
- Experience of media, communications or campaign work, with knowledge in how the media and creative industry works
- Proven track record of organising and facilitating large scale events, including venue hire, co-ordinating participants, catering and travel
- Demonstrable experience of delivering effective programmes of work alongside people from underrepresented communities and a track record of working in partnership with people with lived experiences/communities to ensure they are integral to the programme design
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – enjoys working with people, shows empathy and ability to build and establish relationships with people from all walks of life
- Strong financial skills. Demonstrable experience of financial management, planning, budgets and cash flow
- Excellent writing skills and ability to organise and summarise information clearly
- Experience in fundraising, identifying sources of funding and submitting proposals
The above job description is a guide to the work you may be required to undertake but does not form part of your contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
How to apply
Download and complete the Equal Opportunities form. Email a covering letter (max 3 pages) describing how your skills and experience match our requirements, your CV and the completed equal opportunities form to: email@example.com.
Please put Programme Manager – Community Voices in the subject heading of the email.
Please note, due to the high volume of applications received, regrettably only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Working at Media Trust
Media Trust is an ambitious charity, full of passionate people. We are a small and dynamic team that works collaboratively and supports each other in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for passionate, adaptable, value driven, proactive and independent people to join our team.
- We are based in WeWork Victoria, a vibrant co-working space with our own Media Trust office. There are regular activities and pop ups throughout the week, great networking, free barista coffee all day and ping pong table
- 30 days annual leave
- Summer Friday afternoons off – half day Fridays for all of August
- Flexible hours, to be agreed with line manager
- Part-time options considered for the right candidate
- Secure bike shed
- Pension contributions
- Volunteer days
We are happy to make reasonable adjustments for disabled applicants at any stage of the recruitment process – please just get in touch to discuss.