Programme Manager – Digital Skills
£32,000 - £36,000 doe
Hours of work
Monday – Friday
13 January 2020
Fixed term until August 2021
Director of Charity Services
20 Jan 2020
4 days part time and job share considered based on experience
Media Trust bridges the gap between the media and creative industry and charities, under-represented communities and young people to give them a stronger voice. We do this by promoting skills-based volunteering, empowering young people from diverse backgrounds to work in the media and creative industry and facilitating capacity building and multi-stakeholder dialogue and collaboration.
We’re proud to be helping charities and underrepresented communities to challenge entrenched negative stereotypes and fight for more authentic media representation, giving a stronger voice to people with lived experience. We’re helping charities with their communications strategy, advocacy and campaigning, storytelling, content creation and press engagement. Digital communications skills are embedded in and are a crucial element of all of these areas. Our long-term intended impact is increased visibility, reach and support for charities, so that society benefits more from the work of the third sector.
We have an extensive network of around 40 corporate partners including adamandeveDDB, BBC, BBH, Channel 4, Edelman, Facebook, Google, Guardian Media Group, ITV, Sky, Twitter and Weber Shandwick, to name but a few, who we work closely alongside to deliver our programmes.
We are looking for an experienced, creative and strategic individual, who is happy to hit the ground running and manage multiple programmes as part of our Charity Services team.
You will lead our UK-wide Digital Skills programme delivered through large scale events, regional masterclasses, digital mentoring and online learning. This unique programme has been developed to help charities and community groups access the vital digital communications training they need in order to strengthen their digital marketing and social media capabilities, increase their impact and engagement online, raise their profile and get their voices heard in a rapidly evolving digital world.
We are looking for someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about digital communications and its potential to engage and inspire audiences to drive positive social change. You will be responsible for developing Media Trust’s digital training and mentoring programmes for the UK charity sector, predominantly working on three core programmes:
Digital Skills Programmes
In June 2018, Media Trust launched our Digital Skills programme in partnership with Google to bridge the digital skills gap in the UK charity sector. Over the last 18 months, we have trained almost 1,500 charities via 26 Digital Skills Masterclasses in 14 regions across the UK. In addition, we attracted 12,500 unique visitors to our new online Resource Hub. We also engaged 200 digital volunteers who shared their skills and expertise mentoring charities and charity professionals. We have now received a second round of funding from Google.org to further expand the programme.
This will be the main programme you will manage, supported by a Project Co-Ordinator. You will be responsible for designing and launching phase two of the programme, expanding into new geographic regions in the UK, focusing on charities working on thematic areas including work, learning and online safety.
The other programmes you will manage include:
Heritage Digital – working with a consortium of heritage and digital partners to design and deliver a national digital training programme for the UK heritage sector
Digital Leadership Programme – working to build the digital communications strategy, skills, confidence and knowledge of civil society leaders
You will also be required to support the delivery of other grant programmes as and when required. Travel throughout the UK and overnight stays are required in this role.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with broad and extensive experience of digital and capacity building within the charity, community or media sectors, and the confidence and presence to work with charity and industry leaders. This is a critical and fulfilling role which will give you broad exposure to charities, as well as the media and creative industry.
- Strategic design of the Digital Skills programmes, ensuring they are relevant, innovative and designed with and for charities and civil society
- Programme management of multiple complex projects ensuring high-quality, effective and efficient delivery of activity
- Line manage the Project Co-Ordinator, providing support, guidance and development opportunities
- Oversee the finances for each programme, working closely with the Head of Operations on management accounts and programme budgets.
- Scheduling and developing training and masterclass programmes of activity
- Develop and work with digital trainers and experts to develop engaging and practical training content, activities and resources tailored to a charity audience
- Working with the Director of Charity Services to devise and write funding applications to trusts, foundations, government and corporates to grow Media Trust’s programmes
- Support charities to identify and articulate their digital challenges and prioritise strategic objectives
- Liaising with 1000 charity partners a year, ensuring programme opportunities are accessible and taken up
- Manage relationship with our Digital Skills training partner Google Digital Garage to scope, agree and deliver the national programme.
- Work with consortium partners from the heritage and digital sector to design and deliver digital skills training to the heritage sector
- Recruit and build a network of 100 digital and marketing mentors across the UK who volunteer with Media Trust to share their skills and expertise with charities through our programmes
- Build and maintain relationships with local, regional and national charities and charity sector infrastructure bodies, establishing opportunities for collaboration, sharing insights and programme opportunities through meetings, communications, advisory groups and networking events
- Work with Media Trust’s 40 media partners to devise training and volunteering opportunities, connecting media and creative professionals who want to volunteer their skills with charities and communities in need of communications
- Involve charities and communities in the development of Media Trust’s programmes and work
Marketing and Communications
- Working with the Mar-Comm team, develop a communications brief and work together to produce engaging web, e-marketing and social copy for each programme
- Write programme reports, blogs, funding applications and presentations
- Build and maintain relationships with partners to raise the profile of Media Trust programmes through steering groups, speaking at events, cross promotion and networking
- Work closely with the marketing team to agree brief for launch to promote the programmes, agree focus of the communications plans, prepare materials for case study development and help manage digital content
- A passion for charities and communities driving social change
- Demonstrable experience of complex programme design and management, including experience of impact measurement
- An understanding of and experience in digital communications/campaigns, with a passion for keeping up to date and involved in the future of digital
- Highly organised with the ability to plan, prioritise and manage deadlines, devise and deliver projects on time and on budget, achieving meaningful social impact
- Line management experience, nurturing talent, providing support and guidance
- Experience of training development and delivery, including training programme and content design
- Experience of working with programme partners and an understanding of how to grow and maintain successful and complex partnerships
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – enjoys working with people and has empathy, patience, good listening skills, warmth and openness.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, confident and strong public speaker and ability to produce clear and compelling copy and content.
- Proven event management experience, including large scale events, managing logistics, coordinating participants and stakeholders, hosting and facilitating workshops/training courses/meetings
- Strong financial skills. Demonstrable experience of financial management, planning, budgets and cash flow.
- Training delivery experience and strong workshop facilitation skills
- Experience of successful fundraising, identifying sources of funding and writing funding applications
- Volunteer recruitment and management
The above job description is a guide to the work you may be required to undertake but does not form part of your contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
Closing date: 6pm Monday 13 January 2020
Interviews: Monday 20 January
How to apply
Download and complete the Equal Opportunities form. Email a covering letter (max 3 pages) describing how your skills and experience match our requirements, your CV and the completed equal opportunities form to: email@example.com.
Please put Programme Manager – Digital Skills in the subject heading of the email.
Please note, due to the high volume of applications received, regrettably only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Working at Media Trust
Media Trust is an ambitious charity, full of passionate people. We are a small and dynamic team that works collaboratively and supports each other in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for passionate, adaptable, value driven, proactive and independent people to join our team.
- We are based in WeWork Victoria, a vibrant co-working space with our own Media Trust office. There are regular activities and pop up’s throughout the week, great networking, free barista coffee all day and ping pong table
- 30 days annual leave
- Summer Friday afternoons off – half day Fridays for all of August
- Flexible hours, to be agreed with line manager
- Part-time options considered for the right candidate
- Secure bike shed
- Pension contributions
- Volunteer days
We are happy to make reasonable adjustments for disabled applicants at any stage of the recruitment process – please just get in touch to discuss.
The Media Trust values diversity and is an equal opportunities employer