Senior Manager – Youth Programmes
£40,000 - £42,000 per annum DoE
Hours of work
Full time, 9.30am to 5.30pm, Monday – Friday
24 January 2019
Media Trust exists to help charities and under-represented communities have a stronger voice. We do this through our innovative training programmes and our ability to match good skills with good causes, harnessing skills-based volunteering by media industry professionals. We are also helping the media and creative industry to be more representative of society today by training and mentoring young people from diverse backgrounds to join the sector.
Our Youth Engagement team creates and delivers innovative projects and campaigns that empower young people to have a stronger voice. All our youth programmes empower young people creatively by training them to make compelling multimedia content. Through our strong partnerships with the media industry, we are able to arrange for the content made by our young people to reach local and national audiences via platforms such as Together TV, BBC, Evening Standard and ITV News. One of our signature programmes is The Vlogstar Challenge – a video blogging training programme and competition for over 1,000 young people from across London and Essex, in partnership with YouTube, the Evening Standard and the Jack Petchey Foundation.
Many of our programmes also give young people the key foundational skills, confidence and access to join the media sector through training, mentoring, networking and work experience opportunities. Breaking Into News is a national talent spotting competition we run with ITN for the next generation of broadcast journalist rising stars while Creativity Works: Multimedia Genius Training is an intensive 10-week boot-camp of high-impact media masterclasses and employment skills training for young Londoners who are not in employment, education or training.
This exciting new role will support the Head of Youth Engagement, overseeing all of Media Trust’s youth programmes. You will be responsible for ensuring the effective and efficient delivery of all of our youth programmes, including overall programme and budget management, funder and partner relationships, impact evaluation and quality assurance. You will also contribute to strategic planning and new programme development, working on grant applications and pitching to potential new funders.
We are looking for a dynamic, organised, creative and strategic individual, who is happy to hit the ground running and manage multiple programmes and services.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with broad and extensive experience within the youth sector, with the confidence and presence to lead at a senior level. This is a critical and fulfilling role which will give you broad exposure, responsibility and plenty of room to develop and bring your own ideas to work.
Leadership and Management
- Strategic development, implementation and review, ensuring Media Trust’s youth programmes are high quality and have high impact
- Input into senior management team meetings
- Manage cross organisational working processes, ensuring clear communications and collaboration on the part of the Youth team with other departments
- Oversee Media Trust’s youth programmes, ensuring they are innovative and relevant, meeting funders’ expectations and being delivered on time and on budget, troubleshooting problems that arise while ensuring KPIs are being monitored, captured and reported
- Line management of a team of project managers and coordinators including conducting regular meetings and one-to-ones with your direct reports
- Oversee the finances for each youth programme, working closely with the Head of Operations on management accounts and programme budgets, with sign-off responsibility for the department
New Programme Development & Outreach
- Support the Head of Youth Media on additional income generation and new programme development
- Develop and maintain relationships with other charities and organisations working with young people, funders and government departments, raising the profile of Media Trust across the youth engagement sector through meetings, networking events and steering groups
- A passion for our work (see mediatrust.org)
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience working with diverse young people aged 18-24. A qualification in youth work would be a strong advantage.
- Strong project management skills. Demonstrable experience of complex programme Highly organised with the ability to plan, prioritise and manage deadlines, devise and deliver projects on time and on budget
- Strong financial skills. Demonstrable experience of financial management, planning, budgets and cash flow. Confident in using Excel and spreadsheets
- An enthusiasm for improving systems
- A natural people’s person who can build strong, beneficial relationships with internal colleagues and external suppliers
- Excellent writing skills and ability to organise and summarise information clearly
- Experience or interest in working in a small organisation, be it a start-up or charity, would be a bonus
Closing date: January 24, 2019
The above job description is a guide to the work you may be required to undertake but does not form part of your contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
About Media Trust
Media Trust is a communications charity that believes in the power of media to give underrepresented communities a stronger voice and change lives.
We do this by bringing together professionals from across the media industry and inspire them to share their communications knowledge, expertise, skills and time with charitable organisations, communities and young people.
We enjoy outstanding support from the media industry. Our corporate partners provide invaluable skilled volunteers, who offer training, content creation and mentoring. Their passion, creativity and skills help us make a huge difference to charities, under-represented communities and young people across the UK.
Our media industry corporate partners include: adam&eveDDB, Ascential, BBC, BBH, Bloomberg, Camelot, Channel 4, Clear Channel, Dentsu Aegis Group, Discovery Networks Europe, dmg media, Edelman, Facebook, Google, Group M, Guardian Media Group, Hearst Magazines UK, IPG Mediabrand, ITV, Mediacom, McCann, Mindshare, m/six, Next 15, Oath, Ogilvy, Posterscope, Saatchi & Saatchi, Sky, Spotify, Starcom, Telegraph Media Group, The Walt Disney Company UK & Ireland, Time Warner, Twitter, Viacom International, Wavemaker, Weber Shandwick and WPP.
Together, we have been working to strengthen the voices and improve the lives of people and communities across the UK for more than 20 years.
For more information, visit www.mediatrust.org or follow us @Media_Trust
How to apply
Download and complete the Equal Opportunities form. Email a covering letter describing how your skills and experience match our requirements, your CV and the completed equal opportunities form to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write the name of the role you are applying for in the subject heading of the email.
Please note, due to the high volume of applications received, regrettably only those selected for an interview will be contacted.