ScreenSkills Emerging Talent Mentoring Programme
Media Trust is excited to be partnering with ScreenSkills to launch a new Emerging Talent Mentoring Programme aimed at levelling the playing field for young talent aged 18-30 from diverse backgrounds and providing the UK screen industries with a more inclusive talent pool.
This programme is supported by ScreenSkills using National Lottery funds awarded by the BFI as part of the Future Film Skills programme. The application deadline is 5pm on Monday 24 August.
What’s the programme?
The Media Trust and ScreenSkills Emerging Talent Mentoring Programme will match 50 industry mentors from film, TV and gaming with 50 young people looking to pursue a career in the screen industries.
As a mentee, you will benefit from 1-to-1 mentoring throughout the six-month programme. You will also receive training, development and networking opportunities and expert guidance on completing a practical assignment that you can use when applying for work.
Who Should Apply?
Mentees, if you are interested in pursuing a career in the screen industries then this six-month mentoring programme is for you. We are particularly looking for people who have a passion for film, TV and gaming.
For our 50 mentor spots, we are looking for industry experts who have at least five years’ work experience in film, TV and gaming or other areas of the screen industries. Our mentors will ideally be in behind the camera/below the line roles.
We are looking for people who are able to commit time to participating in the programme and excited about developing a more inclusive talent pool for the sector.
We are particularly interested in your application as a mentor or mentee if you are:
- from a BAME community
- from a low socio-economic background
- from the LGBTQ community
Mentees will benefit from:
- a better understanding of possible career pathways in behind the camera and below the line roles within the screen industries
- knowledge of the in-demand skills in the sector
- training and development and networking opportunities
- CV writing and interview skills
- an understanding of how implicit bias works in the workplace and strategies for addressing this
- a strong and supportive network with other mentees and mentors to help you grow in confidence and resilience
- guidance and support to produce a piece of work that you can use when applying for work
Mentors will benefit from:
- training and opportunities to hone your leadership, coaching and mentoring skills
- reverse mentoring, to gain a better understanding of what a younger generation of consumers are thinking and their behaviour
- how implicit bias works in the workplace and strategies for addressing this
- a strong and supportive network with the other mentors and mentees to give back and develop the next generation in a potentially life-changing way
What is the time commitment?
This is a six-month programme, starting with online group induction sessions in September 2020 through to a graduation showcase in February 2021.
Once matched, each mentoring pair will manage their own meetings. We suggest pairs meet at least once a month during the programme. In addition to the one-on-one mentoring between pairs, Media Trust will also arrange group mentoring events, check-ins and peer panels where mentors and mentees can hear multiple perspectives and share peer-to-peer learnings.
How to Apply and What to Expect
Anyone interested in becoming a mentor or a mentee on the programme should fill in the relevant application form below. Short-listed candidates will be contacted for a short telephone or online interview between Tuesday 25 August and Thursday 27 August. Successful applicants will be notified on Friday 28 August.
Mentors and mentees will then be invited to a series of online group induction sessions running throughout the month of September where they will introduce themselves and receive training on effective mentoring partnerships including goal-setting and giving/receiving feedback.
Following completion of the induction sessions, mentors and mentees will then be invited to self-select their pairs. Media Trust will then match you with a mentor/mentee taking into account your preferences, interests and professional and life experiences.
The application deadline was 5pm on Monday 24 August. Applications are now closed.
Financial support for Mentees
I have learnt again how important it is to find a role you truly are passionate about while being realistic about your expectations at the beginning. Waseema has inspired me through her "never give up" attitude which I was very impressed by. This experience was enriching and inspiring for not only the mentees but also the mentors.Eva Manthey - Mentor, Amazon
ScreenSkills Emerging Talent Mentoring Programme delivered by Media Trust
Our Corporate Partners
We enjoy outstanding support from the media industry. Our partners include: